Important Notice To All With An Interest In Railway History
At some time in the latter part of the week ending 18th December there was a burglary at the ARHS Vic Div Inc Railway Museum in North Williamstown.
Entry was forced into the signal box and the following items were stolen:
- Two Block Instruments
- Two Lamps
- Two Staff Exchange Boxes
- One Staff Instrument Bell
From the manner in which these objects were selected and removed, it is evident that the thieves were aware of the significance and value of the objects. As they are both bulky and heavy, it is unlikely that they can be transmitted to buyers by post.
The Police were notified on Saturday 18th.
The Council of ARHS Vic Div Inc is determined to take all steps possible to recover the missing items and to assist the police in dealing with those responsible.
To make this possible, we are seeking your assistance to discover any information related to the theft and/or the stolen objects.
It is probable that the objects may be offered for sale, we would encourage you to:
- Circulate this message to all members of your organisation/business and associates, as soon as possible.
- Circulate this message on any electronic net works you belong to.
- Be alert to any one offering the objects for sale
- Be alert for any one who has suddenly added such items to their collection
- Maintain a watch on EBay and any other means of electronic sale.
Whilst we do not want you to expose yourselves to any risk, or to alert the thieves that we are on the lookout, we would certainly encourage you to discreetly try to discover the identity of the people responsible and pass it on to us.
A telephone number or email address may be all we need for the police to identify the culprits. Please advise us and/or the police if you have any suspicions or specific information.
Over the next few days this message will be sent to:
- ARHS Divisions in other states
- Signal Record Society
- All Stall holders at the Great Railway Swap Meet
- Railway Museums
- Tourist Railways
- Model and Miniature Railway groups
- Auction Houses dealing in Railway ephemera
- Mainline steam operators
- Australia Customs
- Direct Phone: Ian Jenkin 03 9822 4940, or mobile 0420 554 288.